Xi inspected the Games' preparation work in Haidian and Yanqing District, both of Beijing, on Monday, and the co-host city of Zhangjiakou on Tuesday.
He extended his thanks to athletes, coaches and construction, managerial and working staff, and expressed his best wishes for the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year.
Xi called on conducting the preparation work "with greater perfection," replanning and readjusting all work in accordance with new circumstances while focusing on both epidemic prevention and control and the organization of the Games.
Xi said "simplicity, safety and excellence" should be prioritized in the Games' preparations. He also called on guarding against and comprehensively neutralizing all kinds of risks and diligently carrying out the preparation work, including competition organization and services, technological application and cultural activities.
As the Beijing 2022 preparations have entered a crucial stage, Xi urged efforts to center around staging the Games as scheduled and comprehensively sort out and implement all preparation work.
- Completing the construction of non-competition venues and
complementary facilities on schedule, and increasing necessary
facilities for virus-testing, quarantine and emergencies.
- Ensuring quality operation during the Games with an efficient management system in place, and improving coordination and emergency-handling capabilities between regions and sectors.
- Advancing competition services by adhering to the principle of a "unified standard for three competition zones," namely, urban Beijing, Yanqing District and Zhangjiakou in Hebei province.
- Enhancing communication and cooperation with the International Olympic Committee and other international sports organizations and strictly implementing epidemic prevention and control measures.
- Developing winter sports and encouraging participation of more youngsters.
- Promoting coordinated development of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region, striving for more achievements in transportation, environment, industry and public services, and proactively planning the post-Games utilization of the venues.
"Not only will we host a successful Winter Olympic extravaganza, but also a spectacular Games with unique characteristics," Xi said.
Hosting an excellent 2022 Games is a major task of the Party and the country, and it is a solemn commitment to the international community, Xi noted.
He also stressed delivering a "fantastic, extraordinary and excellent" Olympics in 2022 with a "green, inclusive, open and clean" approach.
Xi emphasized that Beijing 2022 is an event of great significance at the outset of the 14th Five-Year Plan period from 2021 to 2025, calling for a stronger sense of responsibility, mission and urgency during the preparation work.
Xi noted satisfying results had been produced over the past five years, thanks to organizers' efficient work, the cooperation of all relevant parties, and close coordination with international sports organizations.
Xi urged the Games' organizing committee to adhere to the regulations and institutions, adopt stringent budget management, control the Games' costs, avoid corruption and make the Games as "pure and clean as ice and snow."
While visiting the Capital Gymnasium on Monday, Xi said that the CPC Central Committee places great importance on the preparatory work for Beijing 2022, adding that both the Party and the Chinese people have given tremendous support in both material and spiritual terms.
After arriving at Taizicheng station on Tuesday, Xi visited the athletes' service hall and observed exhibits, including a rail network map of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region, the sketch map and sand table of the Olympic competition zone and the Beijing-Zhangjiakou high-speed rail link.
Xi hailed the high-speed rail, which marks essential progress in the
preparations for the Winter Olympics, as a successful demonstration of
China's independent innovation.
He pointed out that China has undergone a process from introduction, digestion, absorption and re-innovation to independent innovation, before becoming a world leader in high-speed rail technology.
Xi said that both competitive and technical strengths are needed to raise the standard of modern sports.
Athletes should have the will and determination to fight for national glory and get the best possible results, he added.
"Train as hard as possible and work harder on technological
innovations, learn from advanced concepts and technology from around the
world, and raise the level of training and competition," Xi said.